Camp George E Sigel was founded in 1920 and named after a young man who grew up in Virginia, MN. He was avid outdoorsman and a member of the first Virginia Boy Scout Troop. During his senior year of high school, he enlisted in the Engineering Corps of the United States Army. He and seven other boys shipped out and were stationed in France during the winter of 1919. Sigel became sick and contracted tuberculosis and died on July 14, 1919. He received a full military funeral and was interned in Greenwood Cemetery. His seven fellow soldiers along with his family pursued his dream of a camp for young men. By a cooperative effort of many civic leaders from Virginia and several youth organizations, a camp on the shores of Lake Eshquagama was established. On June 3 rd , 1920, eighty acres of land was purchased from A.B. Shank for the sum of $2,000.00. The purchase price of the camp was reached by a funding drive in which the Virginia High School senior class sold enough bonds for about one half of the money, around $1,000.00 dollars, and then several Virginia businesses donated the other half or about $1,400.00 dollars. Camp Sigel opened that summer and groups from the YMCA, Boy Scouts, 4-H, the American Sunday School Union, as well as other local area churches held camps at this site. On September 30 th , 1920 Camp George E. Sigel was incorporated as a charitable noon profit organization that would provide camping and outdoor facilities for young men and to promote the social, moral, spiritual, and physical well being of those young men. Camp Sigel was established to be governed by a nine person volunteer board of directors and continues to operate that way today; still providing facilities for young men and women to enjoy the outdoor experience. In the spring of 1935, Sears, Roebuck and Company chose the St Louis County 4-H Club as the winners of a national contest; the prize was a new building. Camp George E. Sigel’s Board of Directors purchased a forty acre plot just to the north of the camp property from Mrs Seeley of Biwabik and donated it to the 4-H club as the home for this new building.